We’re back! I’ll try to stay on task. I’m ready to wrap up this job. In case you’ve missed the first two posts, here they are:
Where were we – oh, yes, not all bricks are equal.
Once I find the pattern of brick sizes I’ll need, I loose stack the bricks, slightly alternating them to give a measure of stability. It just happened that the fit worked out to slide one brick in upright at the end of the row. Whew! Close call. I didn’t even think of the fit between corner blocks.
I did pound the bricks with – you guessed it – a brick, to get them fairly level. Once the back wall is done it’s time to measure the width. The front corner areas are measured and dug. Now, what will best fit here?
We have just a few of the double brick pavers, so I start with them – but I’ll need bricks stacked sideways to create the width I have determined. (Note: after reviewing the photos, I’ll be returning to the project to exchange the pavers and sideways bricks for better stability.)
Time for the test – I bring out the door and lay it on the U shape I’ve built. It’s not going to pass an inspection for perfection, but it’s going to work, practically so.
I measure at intervals and dig in the shovel to mark the distance, then dig out a line for my front wall.
Lay the bricks for the front row. Hmmm… it looks like the center is sagging a bit. If I were striving for perfection, the back row would be restacked (since I didn’t catch the sag until I reviewed these pictures) – but part of being practical is determining to allow for imperfections. We’re going to call this design air flow. :)
Dig out the remaining dirt to set flush with the first layer of bricks on the front wall. Some will go to the compost pile, and some is used to fill the concrete block corners.
Stack the bricks, alternating with a few half bricks, to form a stable front wall. Isn’t that half brick a beauty?
I noticed the door handle, which protrudes on both side (as door handles do, hehe), so I left a gap in the center of the top row of bricks.
That gap is larger than I need, perhaps there’s a brick that would fill in well here?
Ah, just right! Good thing all bricks are not equal. :)
Now, to clean up my mess. There’s dirt to dump, and leaves to add to the compost.
Ah, here’s a project for another day – how many cold frames can one person have? Actually, I have to confess, I’m thinking about setting up a hot frame on the north, shady side of the house, to start fall crops.
Most projects are also a treasure hunt – here are the goodies from this project. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right? Or, practically speaking, I kept these items out of the compost pile!
Tools and gloves back in their places… in my practical garage gardening cabinet. It’s a found item, free, with a great porcelain covered metal top that cleans up easily. My practical approach allows the garage items to look like they belong in the garage: with grunge appeal, and for practical use (we get dirty here). No need to waste time prettying it up unless I have way too much time on my hands.
And the finished product – pending slight rework. (Start Rocky song now, before my muscles catch onto the pain that’s to come)!
You’ll note that I placed that fifth concrete block in front of the frame. With the loose stack brick method, I thought it would be practical for an added measure of support. We’ll see how that works…
Also, the door has been easy to lift and set behind the back wall of the frame, so there was no need for hinges, or a tie back method, or a lid prop. I’ll test it for functionality soon and make a revision post if the need arises.